7/21/09

Guard your heart...



Such an amazing verse that so many take in different views.

Proverbs 4:23 Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.

But really, what does that mean to you? If I had read this before I came to Christ...I would be saying "THIS HEART IS MINE..YOU WILL NOT HURT ANYMORE...I HAVE CONTROL OF IT ALL..MY TRUST IS IN NO ONE BUT ME..." that is just a tiny bit of past thought. Back when my ex announced his cheating on me...I guarded my heart for years and years to come...not letting it be open to him, to people, to myself, most of all...to our Lord and Savior...Jesus Christ.

I have learned over the years thru big mistakes of my own, how we are all sinners. Didn't have to read that in the Bible to realize that. Sure, they are all equal in God's eyes, but at times, don't you feel like what you've done, or a friend, or family member...repeatedly, seems to be a "higher" up sin in ranking for God? Seems like a larger checkmark on the chalkboard for someone should happen from Christ sometimes...but He doesn't judge...as we shouldn't, as for we should be more and more Christ-Like.

But it hurts when loved ones hurt us. When they don't follow thru. When they lie. When they don't communicate with their children in divorces...just move on. There is so much pain...and we always seem to want to point a finger somewhere. Instead of understanding...we have been there too. We have hurt people as well. We have hurt Christ...but He so forgives us every moment as His children. Why can't we be more like Him? Why do we have to get hit hard to realize WOW...I was warned that person would hurt me...because they are going thru tough times, or on drugs, or abused, confused, not into Christ, etc....We seem to have to also go thru something "hands on" even when we get pre-warnings from others who know what the outcome may be with certain choices. But we have to live and learn. We have to, yes, guard our hearts...but for those who we love, our family, friends, Christ-sisters and brothers, etc..but when anyone..family or not, come in and shake you...YOU GUARD THAT HEART FULL OF FAITH AND LOVE FOR OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST...and you don't let Satan work thru someone to knock the amazing plans Christ has for you...onto a longer misguided road. You love ALL thru Christ--for Christ. But you do not let anyone take HIM OUT OF YOUR HEART...to affect your life, your family, YOUR FAITH!

So my initial thought on guarding my heart was very selfish and out of bounds. But we all do it...when we have to guard it for our love for Christ...as we give our hearts to Him. He is our life, our everything...never let anyone lead you astray!

Colossians 2: 8
Don't let anyone lead you astray with empty philosophy and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the evil powers of this world, and not from Christ.

God bless you all...I am so blessed to be connected with each and everyone of you!



Blessing and Love thru Christ,

Hetty Siebens

http://www.twitter.com/AliveinMe
http://www.twitter.com/EpilepsyCures
http://www.causes.com/epilepsycures
http://www.youtube.com/Hetty4Christ

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways ACKNOWLEDGE HIM, and He will make your paths straight.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Hetty,

This verse has been one that I have meditated on a lot. I loved this post. Have you read "Waking the Dead" by John Eldredge? The whole book incorporates this verse. I read it twice during one of the hardest times of my life. I saw it on sale at Mardel's today and almost picked up an extra copy just because I liked it so much.

Thanks for your transparency!

Rachel

jlcurtis3 said...

A new look at guarding my heart - soul - for what it feels for Jesus Christ and others around. Protective of the things that are important. I found your presentation to be insightful and gives me something to think about.

James

sumptersam said...

amen! we have a "god bag" on our fridge and we write things on paper and put in the bag, then we leave it up to god....thanks for writing